FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions on KONKANVERTER
What is KONKANVERTER ?
KONKANVERTER is an Online Script Conversion Utility for Konkani Language, conceived and developed by World Institute of Konkani Language, World Konkani Centre, Mangalore.
HOW IT WORKS?
KONKANVERTER converts Konkani Text written in one script to another, adhering the orthographic practices of output script. It uses a Software Programme specially developed for the purpose. The Input Text should be UNICODE font.
The project intends to provide the input and output functionality for Konkani Language in Five Scripts, i.e., Devanagari, Roman, Kannada, Malayalam and Perso-Arabic. Perso-Arabic script has not been included in the current beta version. It will be added in due course of time.
In this beta version KONKANVERTER can convert any Konkani Text from:
Devanagari to Kannada Script
Devanagari to Roman Script
Devanagari to Malayalam Script
Kannada Script to Devanagari
Kannada Script to Roman Script
Kannada Script to Malayalam Script
Malayalam Script to Devanagari
Malayalam Script to Kannada Script
Malayalam Script to Roman Script
Roman Script to Devanagari
Roman Script to Kannada Script
Roman Script to Malayalam Script
For many Historical and Socio-Cultural reasons, Konkani people have been using five different scripts (Devanagari, Romi, Kannada, Malayalam and Perso-Arabic) to write in Konkani Language. Due to this Konkani Literature has been divided into several script groups and not intelligible in entirety to every Konkani person. This situation has become an obstacle to a free-flow of Konkani literature from one region to another and has created a rift between script communities in some domains like teaching Konkani in school and selection for awards etc. Only a few works were transliterated manually so far, due to the painstaking and time consuming nature of the task.
Inspired by VISION TVM of T.V.Mohandas Pai to bring together Konkani Speaking Communities by resolving conflicts, World Konkani Centre worked on this issue through technology and embarked on the project to develop an AUTOMATIC SCRIPT CONVERTER a couple of years ago.
KONKANVERTER is result of this project. The Project Team is headed by Gurudath Bantwalkar, Asst. Director WIKL, with Konkani Language Experts such as Poet Melwyn Rodrigues, Gokuldas Prabhu, Dr. Tanaji Halarnkar, Dr. Rocky Miranda, Damodar Ghanekar and Technical Experts such as Hariprasad Nadig of Sampada.net as advisors. Vinodh Rajan, a Language Technology Expert from Chennai (virtualvinodh.com) contributed substantially in time and efforts in developing the software programme. The project has lined up development of several language technology initiatives which will help the growth of Konkani Language Content on the web, based on the concept of multi script interactivity.
HOW KONKANI WILL GET BENEFITED BY KONKANVERTER?
- KONKANVERTER will help Konkani writers reach out to a readership base almost four times larger than the present one.
- Konkani Language knowledge base will be accessible to the people across script groups. Knowledge can flow easily between the scripts unhindered.
- The adapted applications of the above software can be immense. It can be made functional in every website of Konkani Language. It can be also used for offline purposes such as publishing. The Konkani Literature in the form of E – books with such conversion facility will benefit from wide reach and readership.
- Some of the original lexical and dialectical forms of Konkani might unearth to the benefits of the community as whole, which otherwise hidden in watertight compartment like situation between communities divided by the script.
- Research Scholars will benefit as now they will not be handicapped because of many scripts. Presently the handicap is leading to limitations in the scope of quality of research.
- There will be no hurdles in reading the text, enjoying and appreciating literature, enriching one’s vocabulary, analyzing language, comprehending dialect variations and ultimate standardization of the Konkani language.
WHAT KONKANVERTER IS NOT?
- KONKANVERTER is NOT a Translation Utility. It does not TRANSLATE from one language to another. It just changes the text from one script to another.
- KONKANVERTER DO NOT change the dialect of Input text. For Example, if you want to convert Mangalorean Catholic Konkani Dialect Text written in Kannada Script to Devanagari Script, The Konkanverter will convert only the script, but your text will still be in Mangalroean Catholic Dialect of Konkani.
- KONKANVERTER is NOT a Grammar Checker and it DOESN’T correct the grammatical mistakes of the Input Text.
WHAT ARE LOUIS BARAP AND BANGLEKAR BARAP OPTIONS IN KANNADA SCRIPT?
I tried Copy-Pasting a text in the input window of KONKANVERTER, but it get pasted as some junk characters. What is the problem?
How to convert Nudi Font to Unicode?
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OTHER THAN THE ABOVE, KINDLY SUBMIT BELOW.